Homework 1, due Wed Sep 7, 2016
Hand in your solution on RPILMS. You may work in teams of 2. Each team should submit their solution under only 1 student's name, but mention both people at the top of the submission. The other student's submission should just name the lead student. (This makes it easier for us to track things and to avoid grading it twice.) As for formats, we'll take (at least) a scanned image of a neatly handwritten page, raw text, PDF, and MS Word.
(4 pts) One graphics pioneer was Ivan Sutherland. Name an influential tool that he created and an influential algorithm that he helped create.
(4) Consider these 3-D vectors: A=(0,4,2), B=(1,2,3), C=(8,7,9). Compute:
(4) (This is another a test of your linear algebra knowledge. Feel free to refer to books to find the correct formulae.)
Suppose that we have a plane in 3-D thru the points A(3,2,0), B(2,2,0), and C(0,1,1).
- What is its equation, in the form ax+by+cz+d=0 ?
- Consider the line L thru the points O(0,0,0) and P(1,1,1). Where does this line intersect the plane?
(4) Modify the program in http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel/WebGL/7E/CLASS/square.html , which calls several other files, to display shapes that are the first initials of the last names of the team members.
I'll give more details about how to do this in class on Wed Aug 31.
(2) Do exercise 1.1 from the textbook, page 37.
(2) Do exercise 1.8 from the textbook, page 38.
(Total: 20 points.)